Monday, January 21, 2008

nescafe shows regional bias?



I was looking for Nescafe's newest advert since it looked interesting but instead I stumbled upon this seemingly unfair promotion from Nescafe. It's all moot and academic now really, but I think the subject matter is something people should take notice of.

Nescafe launched an "All Expense Paid Italian Gateway For 2" promo last year. I think the promo aimed to promote its newest product Amore Nescafe.

However, before you can enter the promo, you have to be part of the Amore community. And to be part of the Amore community you have to be:

Looks fine. But come to think of it, isn't Nescafe a brand that is being distributed throughout the 3 islands of the Philippines including Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao? I was wondering why only those from METRO MANILA can qualify for the promo. Maybe because Amore is distributed only in Metro Manila? That's the most logical answer I can think of because if not then this is clearly a stupid bias against the other regions who also drink Nescafe by the way.

This superior Manila mindset has come a long way, just like Nescafe. In fact, this issue is a very sensitive one because those in Mindanao have always lamented the fact that the national government puts more money in Luzon when Mindanao's export sector (think BANANA and PINEAPPLE) is contributing a lot of moolah to the government's coffers.

I prefer my coffee brewed, but when I want variety or when I do not have a choice, I drink Nescafe's 3 in1 blends. But if this promo is true to form and the answer I suggested is not the real reason for not including Mindanao, Visayas and most areas in Luzon then perhaps Filipinos should think twice before buying their Nescafe.

Maybe this is the reason why Amore has not clicked in Mindanao. With this ad, Nescafe shows there's no Amore' in them after all.

2 comments:

Corrin said...

could it just be contest restrictions? could they be targeting their largest demographic?

it's the marketing in me. i don't think they were being region-centric.

kopidunia said...

Funny you should bring that up. I noticed that myself when I did my review of Nescafé Philippines, but I didn't think too much about it. And frankly, it's the first time I've seen a product contest limited in such a manner. But since I'm unfamiliar with any social or political issues in the Philippines, I didn't think much about it, like I said. Maybe you're right, and if so, Nescafé will have a hard time on the other 2 islands, or maybe people just don't care anyway?